Monday, November 14, 2011

Genesis Burroughs: Free-spirited Musician




Genesis Burroughs is a North Florida musician that is quite active in the musical world. Whether it is composing, singing, listening, learning, encouraging or chatting, she is always very engaged in what is going on with other composers and musicians around the world. In fact, I would bet that Genesis has listened to more music by artists I have interviewed and still have yet to interview than any other composer out there. Not only that, but she always leaves very positive feedback to further inspire them, and she even helps to keep all of us connected on the Facebook YouTube Composers Group.

1) Tell us about yourself:

Hi, everyone! My name is Genesis Burroughs, and it is nice to meet you all! I am 23 years old. I live in Florida in the United States and am currently working on my master's degree in Instructional Tech at University of West Florida. I consider my voice as my main instrument (a.k.a. I sing haha), but I am learning how to improve my piano playing skills and composition skills right now :)

2) What equipment and software do you use to compose?

Equipment? My good ole Yamaha keyboard, audio interface (Alesis iO2), laptop (which I have Cubase and Reason on), a monitor, and a mixer (when I need to do some extra external stuff).

3) Who inspires you as a musician?

Oh goodness, I have so many inspirations, it is not even funny! As a singer, my mom inspires me. I also get a lot of singing inspiration from Yolanda Adams. As a composer, especially in the video game field, I love Jun Senoue's work in the Sonic games. I also love Tomoya Ohtani, Shoji Meguro, Masashi H., and Daisuke I. (especially his work in BlazBlue)! There are more, but I don't want to write an essay here xD

4) You're pretty active in the YouTube Composer's group on Facebook. Can you tell us a little bit about that?

Youtube Composers (YTC) is a Facebook group where musicians, singers, composers, remixers, etc. can come together and give each other advice and feedback and just learn! I can't even tell you how much I have learned within the year (if that long) that I have been there. Everyone is supportive of each other, and it's fun! :D I encourage other composers to join for sure.

5) What are your musical goals?

I want to share my music across the world! Haha, no seriously, I would love to release my own singing album, where I am able to contribute a lot of the songwriting and production to the album. This is why I am working extra hard to improve my musical skills since I still lack a lot~

6) Where would you travel to if you could go anywhere to compose a song?

Japan Japan Japan! :D I would love to go there if I got the opportunity!

7) Random thoughts:

I am very appreciative of the people who have put up with me on my musical journey. From the people who helped me start to sing when I was five to the people who taught me about sonic depth when I was 23...thank you :) Please continue to look out for me!

My thoughts on the interview:

Mmm, a master's degree. That is something I kind of want to start working on... in music this time haha.

I love that you include a monitor as one of your pieces of equipment. Since there is only one, does that mean you record mono? If so, you should definitely get another. It will change your world !^_^!

If you are inspired by and sing similarly to Yolanda Adams, you must be fantastic! Also, that would definitely get your singing heard around the world.

Japan is one of the wonderful places at the top of my list to visit!!! I wish I was good at Japanese though. I didn't really pursue it much, and I'm more of a Latin-based language learner.

For more music by Genesis, visit her YouTube channel here.

No comments:

Post a Comment