Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sabrielle: Fantastic Fantasy Music



Sabrielle was one of the first composers I met in my search for other people that shared the same interests as myself. She instantly became one of my favorite musicians even though I didn't know too many others when we met. Her compositions and scores are always well-planned and have beautiful melodies that are perfect for her favorite series, Final Fantasy. Now I know many more composers of all types of styles today than I did back then, but Sabrielle's music is still some of the best of the video game genre! I interviewed her a few months ago, and here is what she had to say:

1) Tell us about yourself:

My name is Sabrielle, I am 19 years old and im from Florida. Right now, I am currently enrolled at a music college. I'm a major in film scoring and will be graduating in the spring of 2013. Really excited!! :]

2) I heard a lot of video game-like music on your Youtube channel. Is this your main focus, or do you do other music as well?

 Video game music is my main focus. I'm influenced by all final fantasy composers but I still have a long way to go. My other interest is film music! Mostly animated ones, fantasy, romance, action, thriller. Mainly influenced by Hayao Miyazaki's films. Joe Hisaishi is also one of my biggest influences for film music. I really love his work!

3) What software and equipment do you use?

I started to use Logic express, and upgraded to logic studio. They are all the same just not as limited on sound instruments for logic studio.

4) How long have you been making music?

Not sure how long I should say, but you can decide. My primary instrument is violin, and it's been 13 years now. I went to all Art schools ever since I was little to this day still. Played in my schools strings, symphony, philharmonic orchestras. But I was also interested in playing the piano. I thought it was a beautiful instrument though my parents didn't think much of it.
I started to teach myself how to play the piano during my freshmen year of high school during our one hour lunch time. I started to play little pieces and had my friends listen to them. They all said it reminded them of "film music" but I never took them seriously (haha) until my senior year of high school (class of 2009). I started to make music officially summer 2010. "Grass field" was my first accomplishment.

5) What are your musical goals?

My Musical Goals? I just want to be successful doing what I love to do, which is making music for games and films. I'm working to my fullest to make some good music for my listeners. I can only hope that they'll enjoy listening to them!!

6) Random thoughts:

Stick around, many new compositions are on their way ^_^

My thoughts on the interview:

Florida = awesome place for musicians. It has the largest number of people I've interviewed, followed by England. Just a coincidence, I also live in Florida right now, but have only interviewed one person from my same city.

I wish I could have gone to a music college. I didn't even know film scoring was a major until recently :( my school offered no production-focused music classes.

Video games and movies :) Much better place to find detailed, intelligent, passionate music than the radio... not that radio sucks or you can do it without any talent. Creating a truly great score is just harder.

Glad you started learning the piano. It's one of the greatest instruments ever invented, and one of the most helpful to know if you want to learn a wide variety of other instruments.

Excited for more! If you want to hear what else Sabrielle has to offer, check out her YouTube channel here.

Oh, and your victory theme reminds me of a tactics game! Especially one in the Final Fantasy series !^_^!

No comments:

Post a Comment