Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jon Bourne: Master of Epic Film Scores

Jon Bourne is a music student in the UK who I met on Youtube. His music is geared toward the film industry, and it is for a good reason. Everything he makes is phenomenal. I have searched many times over the years for high-quality, original film scores, and nothing I have ever heard compares to what Jon Bourne makes. He is beginning his transition into the professional music production world, and I'm positive it won't be long before his tracks are heard all the way in Hollywood. One of his songs that really grabs my attention is "As Darkness Falls," so here it is!



...And this is our interview:

1) Tell us about yourself (where are you from or where are you now, age, how long you have been producing music).
My name is Jon Bourne and I am from Southend-on-sea, Essex, UK. I am 21 and am currently studying Music with Music Technology at Keele University. I have only really been writing seriously for about 2 years.

2) What is your favourite style of music to create?
Epic Soundtracks and Cinematic Trailer.

3) What programs/instruments/devices do you use?
At present i use:

Cubase Studio 5
Sibelius 5
East West Quantum Leap software: Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Choirs (w/ VOTA), Stormdrum 2, Ministry of Rock & Goliath (all PLAY versions)
Reason

I am planning on upgrading my VSTs soon after the release of my album and am sold on:

East West Quantum Leap software: Hollywood Strings & Brass
Tonehamer/8dio: Requiem Pro, Rhythmic Aura & their Epic Percussion ensembles.

4) You are having an album released by a production company. Congratulations! Tell us how that came about.
Thank you very much! As I have said before, I have been writing seriously for about 2 years now and have built a solid portfolio to show others. I emailed various production companies and libraries that I found in a google search and in general research on the internet. One company got back to me - JW Media Music. They were impressed with my portfolio and said I showed great potential in writing this sort of music. I met with the managing director of the company who asked me to write a 10 track album, consisting of the better tracks found in my portfolio along with some new and exciting epic tracks. It is to be available to anyone, ranging from big TV companies to student film/trailer makers, who are in need of some epic tracks to put behind their trailer/tv show or advert.

5) What advice do you have for those looking to get into the production music business?
Just promote yourself as much as you can - facebook, youtube, twitter etc. and email any production company or library you find. Everyone starts somewhere.

6) How are you inspired to create your music?
I get my inspiration from the best of the best: Two Steps From Hell, Immediate Music, most of the composers who are involved with Remote Control Productions etc. I must also mention my good friend Paul Mitchinson, who also writes in a film music style. We have done collaborations on some trailer re scores which have had lots of praise from many youtubers. The constant friendly competition and support raises the standard of music making for both of us.

7) Random thoughts:
Thanks to everyone who has given their support and encouragement. I am always in need for more opportunities to promote my name and music so feel free to get in contact!


To hear more of Jon's great music, visit his youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/jonbourne100#p/u/5/D1fYB6S_Gko

No comments:

Post a Comment